Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Dream Catcher, wall hanging, 2014


This is one of my absolute favorite quilts.  It's a wall hanging for the museum challenge, the one where we make the quilts that are hung in the town museum.  The theme for this one was colors of Canyonlands.  I figured everyone would make something showing the rock formations, so I wanted something different.  I love dream catchers and I wanted to try this technique, which is a kind of reverse applique.  I used some "Marion" fabric, small pieces I found in the pile, and sewed them together to make a split 9 patch for the background.  Then I drew the dream catcher, with the bow n the top and feathers hanging down.  Then I basted the blue material to the back, sewed in around using the pattern I made.  Then cut away the orange fabric from the front which allowed the blue to show through.  I made the center of the dream catcher with embroidery thread.   It is machine quilted in a circle around the catcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment