Saturday, April 23, 2016

Attic Window, throw size, 2013


This is a very special quilt.  Sonya asked what I wanted for Christmas and I said, fabric.  She sent this for my present and I waited for years to come up with an inspiration on how to use it.  There was a class to teach us how to do attic windows avoiding the dreaded "Y seam".  Only problem was, the technique didn't take into account directional fabric.  I ended with at least half of them with the sailboats and lighthouses sideways or upside down.  I considered using it that way and calling the quilt "Storm at Sea" but I knew I would never be happy with it.  I took the wrong ones apart and sewed it all back together the old way and found that the Y seam is not all that hard.  I had to buy some coordinating fabric for the light window.  The bright stripe is from Sonya.  I had plenty to use on the back and to make interesting borders.  Lou Gostlin from the guild quilted it for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment