Monday, May 2, 2016

Queen Size, 1996, Double Irish Chain


I made this one for friends who lived in our gated community east of Memphis Tennessee.  I was friends with Julie, the mother, her daughter Anna was about Tina's age.  When she got married after we moved back to Maplewood, I just had to make her a quilt.  This is a Double Irish Chain and one of my favorite quilts.  She wanted mostly dark greens, jade, forest etc.  The technique is to sew 2 1/2 inch strips together, then cross cut, to form the squares, then sew these together into the chain.  I made the strips together, then forgot what I was doing and cross cut without considering the seam allowance.  The squares ended up being rectangles.  So this is not strictly a "square" Irish chain, but more rectangle.  I was NOT going to through away all those lovely pieces of green fabric and I think it turned out well. Someday I might make another this same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment