Saturday, February 27, 2021

February 2021, One is 40" X 60" and one is 8' square


This quilt I made very quickly.  Jill said she'd been thinking it would be nice to have a quilt for a yoga mat in neutral colors, with maybe a splash of green and blue.  I had a bunch of this very pale blue, though it doesn't show in the picture, it looks white.  I also have a lot of these neutrals, gray and beige.  I love making half Square Triangles, so this quilt was fun.  Two weeks.





This quilt took a lot longer.  For years I've cut off the selvedge from my fabric pieces.   Each strip is about an inch wide.   I rolled the strips into balls.  I had 4 balls about the size of softballs.  I thought I'd have enough for a quilt and maybe a tote bag.   Turns out I had just enough for this small quilt.,  The top picture is the stack of blocks, the second picture as I was putting blocks together, and then the quilt, showing a bit of the plain white back.  

For Each block you use a square of fabric for the back, a matching square of batting and then sew the selvedge strips, one by one onto the batting.  This makes a nice quilted back.  I happened to have Huge piece of light blue pin strip fabric which I cut into 1" strips to join the blocks.  It sure used a lot of that.  It was perfect, I did not want to use anything too noticeable for the joining strip.  I've seen these selvedge pieced quilts and wanted to try one.  It was LOT of thread and a LOT of time.  I probably won't ever make another, though it might be fun to make a tote bag someday.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment