Thursday, January 19, 2023

About 35 years ago I made this crazy quilt for Bruce.  It was made from scraps from all kinds of projects, mostly my nightgowns.  You can see them in the pictures.  I basted the large pieces on an old sheet, then put backing and batting together with the top and tied it with yarn.  It was made to be used, a Lot and it was.  A few weeks ago Bruce brought it to me to mend it.  I pulled out my tub of flannel pieces and started sewing big pieces over some places.  I realized the batting was impossible to smooth out - in the top two pictures  you can see, it is clumped together in places and the rest was just swiss cheese.  The flannel was in rags, and the pieces that still looked whole were so thin, they'd be rags soon.  So I bagged it, and started cutting squares of new flannel and made a new quilt.  It 's not quite as big as the first one, but it is bright and warm and Bruce can wrap up in it for years to come  and know that I love him.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment